MHG3049 - Cup marked stone, Leanach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)
- None recorded
Alan Ross says that there is a cup marked stone in this wall on the LH side that answers to this description, so unlikely to be this one in Inverness Mus. - HAW 3/2004
NH74NE 6 7522 4503.
Sculptured Stone (Defaced) (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
There is a cupmarked stone in the dyke on left hand of the road leading from Culloden battlefield to the farms of Leanach and Clava, a little above the former.
It is a red sandstone slab with numerous cups and measures 3.5' by 3' and from 7.5 to 15" thick. It stands erect facing the road, and has evidently been broken on the right side, as seen from the fresh fracture of the stone and from one of the cups being divided.
W Jolly 1882.
No trace of this stone can now be found and local enquiries gained no knowledge of the stone but it was ascertained that the dyke had been rebuilt on several occasions (Info from Mr Munro, Leanach). In Inverness Museum there is a cup-marked stone with 12 cups which conforms generally to the measurement given by Jolly (1882). It is listed in the Museum as being "from Clava" and was presented by Mr Jolly. It is possible that this is the stone in question.
Visited by OS (W D J) 25 April 1962.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7521 4502 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14189 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.