MHG30663 - Clearance cairn, Millcraig
Early 19th-century field clearance which may mask earlier features.
Type and Period (2)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Constructed, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1850 AD? (at some time))
- CONSUMPTION CAIRN (Constructed, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1850 AD? (at some time))
- None recorded
Five stone cairns/dumps were noted by Laurence and Pamela Draper in 2002. The approximate positions of the cairns were established by taking GPS readings from the road and estimating the distance to the cairns. All the cairns are at a similar altitude of about 124 to 140m. At least one seems to have had stones of a different ("newer") colour dumped on it.
Information supplied by L & P Draper, 13/02/02. <1>
Photographs of this cairn were sent to the HER by Dorothy Stott, Principal Planning Officer. A proposed access road would run straight through this cairn and she has recommended that the road be re-routed. <2>
These cairns are probably consumption or clearance cairns dating to the formation of the fields, probably in the early 19th century. The stone piles may mask earlier field clearance from the early historic or prehistoric period, or prehistoric burial cairns of which there are several in the area. <3>
- <1> SHG23633 Verbal Communication: Member of public. SMR information.
- <2> SHG25596 Text/Correspondence: Highland Council. 09/2011. Email correspondence between Dorothy Stott, Principal Planning Officer, and Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist. Digital.
- <3> SHG23286 Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist. 28/09/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 66303 71745 (35m by 34m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.