MHG30740 - Isolation Hospital, Invervigar
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SANATORIUM (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Remains of isolation hospital/sanitorium. Walls, foundations and stairs are visible and probably relate to the different isolation wards.
Patients arrived by train from the surrounding area.
Information suppplied by Mr and Mrs Duberley, 02/04/02.
Jaitken : 02/04/02.
There are the quite substantial foundations of the Inverness-shire Sanatorium in the forest near Aberchalder but they are overgrown.
The Sanatorium opened in November 1907 and closed in August 1951. The buildings were demolished in 1959.
Patients were brought from Aberchalder railway station along the track crossing the river on the old bridge at Invervigar (now gone).
The Sanatorium was at NH 33878 05932 (centre of steps). The access track left the present track at around NH 33809 05935.
There is a clearing on the North side of the track East of the site, the 1st and 2nd Edition OS Maps have a building marked around there but it is not labelled.
Information from M Briscoe, 1 March 2014 <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3387 0594 (140m by 140m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/doffcocker/sets/72157641720413823 (Link to M Briscoe photographs submitted to Flickr)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/339400/invervigar-sanatorium (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.