MHG3076 - Cruck house - Fingask Drive, Kirkhill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CRUCK HOUSE (18th Century - 1701 AD? to 1800 AD?)
Behind the council houses there is an uninhabited 18th century cottage with very low walls and hipped gables, formerly thatched and now roofed with corrugated iron. In the aftermath of Culloden the MacDonald family who were resident at that time hid 2 fugitives under the rafters for about two months. This old building is under the threat of demolition. <1>
TBS photos, 1989.
Photographs of the building were taken by E Lundberg in 2014. <2>
Additional photographs were taken by K Hawthorne of Highland Council in 2015. <3>
Plans and sections of the building were drawn by Historic Environment Scotland in Jan 2016 (available at HES in Edinburgh). <4>
The building was assessed for listing by Historic Environment Scotland in 2015-16. It was recommended that it be listed at Category A. <5>
The building was listed at category A by Historic Environment Scotland on 29/04/2016. <6>
- --- Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Jacks, S E (ed.). 1989. Some unrecorded sites in the Aird noted between Oct 1987 & May 1989. Inverness Field Club. Digital. No. 48.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Lundberg, E.. 2014. Photographs of cruck house, Fingask Drive, Kirkhill. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Hawthorne, K.. 2015. Photographs of Cruck Cottage at Fingask Drive, Kirkhill. Colour. Digital.
- <4> Image/Drawing/Measured Survey Drawing: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Plans and sections of cruck-framed cottage, Fingask Drive, Kirkhill. Historic Environment Scotland. No. Paper and digital.
- <5> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Assessment against the listing criteria: Kirkhill Cottage, Fingask Drive, Kirkhill. Historic Environment Scotland. 05/04/2016.
- <6> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Fraser, D.. 2016. Notification of the listing of Cruck Cottage, Fingask Drive, Kirkhill. Historic Environment Scotland. 05/05/2016. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5549 4570 (11m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB52377 (View on-line description on HES Designations portal)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/68547 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.