MHG30806 - Post Office/Radio Station, Brora
Post office, built in 1939. Used in WWII as a radio intercept station.
Type and Period (2)
- RADIO STATION (In use, Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD (between))
- POST OFFICE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Built in 1939 as a General Post Office (G.P.O.) and was used during the second world war as a tracking station. It was closed in 1984 and was then bought by a removal company for storage facilities. <1>
Recorded during coastal survey. Upstanding building with barbed wire perimeter fence. No access for survey. Single storey with numerous boarded up. <2>
The station continued to operate throughout the Cold War, when around forty people were posted here from all over Britain. The station closed in 1986. <3>
Recorded by RCAHMS as a Y intercept station, operations building. <4>
Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe via the Highland HER Flickr group.<5>
Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe, via Flickr (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.
<1> Aitken, J, Comments by Jacquie Aitken, SMR Assistant, 03/04/2002 (Verbal Communication). SHG23722.
<2> Sneddon, D, Gheorghiou, D, Hansom, J and Sherarer, I, 03/2010, East Sutherland Coastal Zone Assessment survey: Data Structure Report, Site 244 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24912.
<3> Clyne Heritage Society, c.2007, The Brora Village Trail: Uncover Brora's secret heritage (Text/Publication/Leaflet). SHG25096.
<4> RCAHMS, Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Canmore ID 276040 (Interactive Resource/Online Database). SHG23282.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <1> Verbal Communication: Aitken, J. Comments by Jacquie Aitken, SMR Assistant. 03/04/2002.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sneddon, D, Gheorghiou, D, Hansom, J and Sherarer, I. 03/2010. East Sutherland Coastal Zone Assessment survey: Data Structure Report. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 12/9/10. Digital. Site 244.
- <3> Text/Publication/Leaflet: Clyne Heritage Society. c.2007. The Brora Village Trail: Uncover Brora's secret heritage. Paper (Original).
- <4> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). Canmore ID 276040.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9086 0347 (49m by 46m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG30806 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/276040 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.