MHG30826 - Aircraft Crash Site, Dunbeath
Sunderland aircraft crash site
Type and Period (2)
- AIRCRAFT CRASH SITE (CRASHED 1901; CRASHED 2100; , Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- WAR MEMORIAL (Undated)
- None recorded
A Sunderland aircraft crashed on August 25th, 1942. It flew into a hill in cloud. Serial No. W4026. Sqd. 228.
14 killed including HRH Duke of Kent. Rear gunner survived. Memorial at site.
Information supplied by Alan Clark, 11/04/02.
Macclesfield Aviation Group, a member of the British Aviation Archaeological Council.
See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 15/04/02.
Website - www.the-ateam.supanet.com or e-mail at Clark@theateam69.fsnet.co.uk
Website details supplied by A Clark, 11/04/02.
J Aitken : 17/04/02.
OS Master map (2019) depicts a memorial to HRH Duke of Kent at ND 11042 28372. See link below to HES Canmore record for photos of this memorial contributed by M. Briscoe. <1> <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: David J Smith. 1997. High Ground Wrecks and Relics. 4th. 12.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Jim Hughs. 1999. A Steep Turn to The Stars, A history of aviation in the Moray Firth.. 2nd.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Watson G. 04/02. Early Flying In The North Of Scotland. 6. 15-17.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 339537.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 110 283 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/339537/creag-na-h-iolaire-hrh-duke-of-kent-war-memorial-and-aircraft-crash-site (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.