MHG30898 - Moated site, Teaninich
The remains of a structure, moated on three sides.
Type and Period (3)
- STRUCTURE (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)
- MOATED SITE (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)
- None recorded
Structure moated on three sides. On west side stone footings visible going into moat?, 0.70m high from water.
See assoc. docs. File. <1>
The structure is shown on both the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps as a plantation. It measures approximately 30m by 27m and is trapezoid in shape. <1>-<3>
A website user contacted the HER to advise that there is nothing visible at the stated location (NH 633 678). On checking the original source it was found that the grid reference on the record was incorrect and this has now been corrected to a location where the user advises that remains are still present. <4><5>
In 2012, as part of a larger project ('Pathways into the Past', a sister project to the 'Roads Through Ross' project) ARCH carried out a plane table survey of the platform and possible moat feature and the site was described. The overall measurement of the platform was approx 23m x 23m x 30m x 27m. <2>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Various. Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Pathways into the Past project: Evanton. Colour. Yes. Digital. Site 21.
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Highland Council Archaeology Unit. Handwritten file note. Digital (scanned as PDF). 2002?.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <4> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Colin Crow, 11/02/2010.
- <5> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <6> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacIver, C. 2012?. Wester Teaninich Tree Platform and possible moated feature. ARCH Highland. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6317 6784 (34m by 35m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/333237/wester-teaninich (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.