MHG31178 - Site of ice house, Balblair

Summary

The site of an ice house depicted on the 1st edition and later Ordnance Survey maps.

Type and Period (1)

  • ICEHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

An icehouse is depicted to the west of the old chapel on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. A roofed building is also shown to the immediate north-west, but this has disappeared by the time of the 2nd edition map. <1><2>

NMRS Report: (07/06/2005)
NH76NW 115 7084 6706
A building was recorded at this site during an archaeological desktop survey for the Resolis Water Mains Renewal Project. It is marked as an icehouse on the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps of 1880 and 1907. It is marked as a mound on a provisional OS map of 1959 and the 1:10,000 OS map of 1992, but is not named. It is not marked on the latest OS map or on aerial photographs.
Sponsor: Halcrow Group Ltd on behalf of Scottish Water
S Farrell 2003 <3>


<1> Ordnance Survey, 1871-76, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire (Image/Map). SHG23422.


<2> Ordnance Survey, 1904, Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire (Image/Map). SHG23423.


<3> RCAHMS, Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), 272731 (Interactive Resource/Online Database). SHG23282.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 70837 67072 (31m by 33m) (Centred)
Map sheet NH76NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish RESOLIS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.