MHG31190 - Latheron Free Church
C19 free church. Roofless shell currently being restored.
Type and Period (1)
- FREE CHURCH (Built, 19th Century - 1843 AD? to 1872 AD (between))
- None recorded
Planning app to convert church building. Site visit 26/09/2002 showed building in bad condition. Part of the walls missing, windows etc falling out. Iternal fittings badly damaged. Small original school building to N seemed to be intact. - HAW 9/2002
The Free Church is depicted on the 1st edition 25" OS map c.1872 <1>. Site visit 18/06/2009. Work to convert the building on-going and the building has been reduced to a shell. Roof has been removed and only small fragments of painted plaster remain <2> <3>.
- --- Dataset: RCAHMS. 04/2011. Buildings at Risk Register extract. xls. Site 820.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-3. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-72). Digital.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital. 18/06/2009.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1990 3357 (25m by 25m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/BAR/detail.aspx?sctID=0820 (Buildings at Risk register entry)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.