MHG3129 - Ring Cairn & Stone Circle, Aviemore

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • RING CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)

Protected Status

Full Description

NH81SE 1 8970 1347.
Stone Circle (NR) OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)

A Clava-ring cairn. There is very little cairn material left, and the central area seems to have been disturbed. The outer kerb is almost complete, with a diameter of 42' and slight traces of a bank against the outside; only 5 of the inner ring stones are now visible. The outer ring of monoliths now consists of 4 stones set about 17 ft. from the kerb, but there were 7 in 1877 (Grant 1885).
A cup-marked stone is said to have been found at the base of one of the monoliths, but there is no evidence of it today.
A S Henshall 1963, visited 1957; J Stuart 1870; C G Cash 1905; Grant 1885.

The cairn was Scheduled in 1935.

A Clava-type ring cairn, as described and planned by Henshall, except that only three stones now remain of the perimeter of the chamber. Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 14 November 1966.

Holes dug for fence posts around the site were examined by the HRC archaeologist. None showed any clear indications of archaeological survival, the profile in 5 of the 7 holes dug adjacent to the site showing only fairly deep topsoil, probably imported, over a shallow 'B' horizon, which directly overlay apparently undisturbed gravels. The two holes close to the modern house showed only minor disturbance, probably associated with the construction of the house. No finds were recovered.
Information contained in a letter from R.B. Gourlay to R. Hingley, Historic Scotland, 26/1/1994

Access Audit 70 - HAW 11/2003

The cairn was rescheduled in 2016 to better define the area of significance following reassessment by Historic Environment Scotland. <1>


Taylor, A, 02/2010, A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25366.


Stuart, J, 1870, 'Notice of cists and other remains discovered in "Cairn Curr", on the farm of Warrackstone, in Aberdeenshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.24-5, 303 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1259.


Grant, 1885, 'Stone circles and other ancient remains in Strathspey', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 1 1875-80, p.53-60, 55-6 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1543.


Cash, C G, 1906, 'Stone circles at Grenish, Aviemore, and Delfour, Strathspey', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 40 1905-6, p.245-54, 249-50; plan, fig. 2 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1545.


Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 360-1, INV 6; plan, fig. 87 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.


Burl, {H} A {W}, 1976, The stone circles of the British Isles, 358 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2004.


Thom, Thom and Burl, A, A S and [H] A [W], 1980, Megalithic rings: plans and data for 229 monuments in Britain, 258-9 (Collection/Catalogue/Gazetteer). SHG315.


Historic Environment Scotland, 2016, Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM889: Aviemore, cairn 25m SW of 24 Muirton (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG27622.

Sources/Archives (8)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 8968 1348 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH81SE
Civil Parish DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS
Geographical Area BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.