MHG31354 - Cemetery, Dalarossie Church

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CEMETERY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

See also:
NH72SE0001 Dalrossie Church & Font
J Aitken : 09/12/02
-----
Phone call today from Rev. Lilian Bruce, Minister. Conducted a burial service there on 12/12/99 in a new burial ground extension. Noticed possible walling in the grave. Needs investigation

JW 16/12/99
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NMRS Notes:
NH72SE 2 7669 2419.

(NH 7669 2419) Church (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)

The present Dalarossie Church was built in 1790, with repairs and alterations by George Rhind in 1856, also W L Carruthers, 1904. A simple rectangular building orientated E-W, it occupies the site of the earliest church, dedicated to St Fergus, which is first mentioned 1224 x 42, when it was given to Elgin Cathedral. Dalarossie was joined to part of Moy parish in 1618.
OSA 1793; NSA (Inverness); A Jervise 1875-9; ISSFC 1895; R Macdougall 1895; J Mackinlay 1914; G Hay 1957; I B Cowan 1967.

NH72SE 1 7671 2420.
(NH 7671 2420 Clach an T-Sagairt (NR)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)

The Priest's Stone was formerly situated on the N. side of Dalarossie churchyard (Jolly 1882) but was moved into the church by 1889 (ISSFC 1898). It is basin-shaped and said to have been used for baptismal purposes (Jolly 1882). It is included in a list of cup-marked stones by Romilly Allen (1882). The hole was drilled through the bottom in recent times (Jolly 1882).
W Jolly 1882; J R Allen 1882; ISSFC 1898.

Clach an t-Sagairt, a baptismal font as described and planned; not a cup-marked stone; still in Dalarossie Church.
Visited by OS (N K B) 8 November 1966.

See assoc. docs. File (gravestone photos).
J Aitken : 12/03/02.

Desc of church & font (Water used to cure warts). Said to be v old site although current church dates from 1790 + follow up story of Witch of Laggan. Inverness FC Vol IV, p64- HAW 9.2002


Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, vol. 8, p. 508 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.


NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, vol. 14, p. 112 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.


Jervise, A, 1875-9, Epitaphs and inscriptions from burial grounds and old buildings in the north-east of Scotland with historical, biographical, genealogical and antiquarian notes, vol. 2, p. 54 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2365.


Allen, J R, 1882, 'Notes on some undescribed stones with cup markings in Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 16 1881-2, p.79-143, 122 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1208.


Jolly, W, 1882, On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands, 380-1 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1317.


Macdougall, R, 1894, 'Strathdearn - some church notes', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 19 1893-4, p.49-50, 49-50 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1554.


Macdougall, R, 1895, 'Notes on the ecclesiastical history of Strathdearn', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 19 1893-4, p.49-62, 49-50 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1219.


ISSFC, 1898, 'Excursion to Kyllachy, 24th August 1889', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 4 1888-95, p.56-66, 64 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG770.


MacKinlay, J M, 1914, Ancient church dedications in Scotland: non-scriptural dedications, 211 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2475.


Hay, G, 1957, The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843, 259 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2307.


Cowan, I B, 1967, The parishes of medieval Scotland, 43 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG367.


Leonella Longmore, 2000, Land of Churches (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2414.

Sources/Archives (12)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7669 2418 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH72SE
Civil Parish MOY AND DALAROSSIE
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.