MHG31355 - Old Kilmore Burial Ground, Drumnadrochit

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

'Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies may be encountered. First published 1993, reprinted 1994.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
------
See also:
NH52NW0004 Old Kilmore Church
J Aitken : 09/12/02
-----
Drumnadrochit & Fort Augustus Local Plan, Oct. 1991: P37/4.33.
POLICY - 0.2 ha. Of land SE of Kilmore Church is allocated for the provision of a hall and related parking and this facility should be set back from the road frontage and minimise the loss of trees from the site.
J Aitken : 24/05/01.
-----
NH52NW 2 5152 2958.

(NH 5152 2958) Church {NR} (Remains of) Kilmore Graveyard {NAT}
OS 6"map, (1906)

These are the ruins of the former parish church, built in 1630, and known as 'Kilmore', as was it's predecessor mentioned in 1215. The church was abandoned in 1836, on the erection of the present parish church.
The churchyard contains some old gravestones taken from the graveyard at Abriachan. (NH 53 SE 2).
J D Smith 1835; Name Book 1871; J Ross 1883; W Mackay 1893

The remains of this church, still known as Kilmore, are almost completely ivy-covered. It is built of roughly coursed msonry with rubble infilling and is oriented NNW - SSE measuring 7.0m by 3.0m within a wall 0.6m thick standing nearly to roof height. The doorway in, the SSE, appears to have been rebuilt. A lancet window remains intact in the W wall.
No trace of an earlier church exists.
The graveyard is still in use.
Visited by OS (R L) 11 Feburary 1970


Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 56, 81-2 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3389.


NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, Vol. 14, (J D Smith 1835) 45-6, 49 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.


Ross, J, 1888, 'Some noteable stones and legends', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 2 1880-3, p.257-9, 259 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1526.


Mackay, W, 1893, Urquhart and Glenmoriston: olden times in a Highland parish, 341 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2461.


Edited by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie, 1994, Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2160.

Sources/Archives (5)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 5152 2954 (95m by 117m)
Map sheet NH52NW
Civil Parish URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.