MHG3266 - Old Kilmore Church, Drumnadrochit

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

See also:
NH52NW0051 Graveyard & Watch House
J Aitken : 09/12/02
-----
Drumnadrochit & Fort Augustus Local Plan, Oct. 1991: P37/4.33.
POLICY - 0.2 ha. Of land SE of Kilmore Church is allocated for the provision of a hall and related parking and this facility should be set back from the road frontage and minimise the loss of trees from the site.
J Aitken : 24/05/01.
------
NH52NW 2 5152 2958.

(NH 5152 2958) Church {NR} (Remains of) Kilmore Graveyard {NAT}
OS 6"map, (1906)

These are the ruins of the former parish church, built in 1630, and known as 'Kilmore', as was it's predecessor mentioned in 1215. The church was abandoned in 1836, on the erection of the present parish church.
The churchyard contains some old gravestones taken from the graveyard at Abriachan. (NH 53 SE 2).
J D Smith 1835; Name Book 1871; J Ross 1883; W Mackay 1893

The remains of this church, still known as Kilmore, are almost completely ivy-covered. It is built of roughly coursed msonry with rubble infilling and is oriented NNW - SSE measuring 7.0m by 3.0m within a wall 0.6m thick standing nearly to roof height. The doorway in, the SSE, appears to have been rebuilt. A lancet window remains intact in the W wall.
No trace of an earlier church exists.
The graveyard is still in use.
Visited by OS (R L) 11 Feburary 1970

Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe in July 2011 via the Highland HER Flickr group.

Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <1>


Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 56, 81-2 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3389.


NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, Vol. 14, (J D Smith 1835) 45-6, 49 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.


Ross, J, 1888, 'Some noteable stones and legends', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 2 1880-3, p.257-9, 259 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1526.


Mackay, W, 1893, Urquhart and Glenmoriston: olden times in a Highland parish, 341 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2461.


Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe, via Flickr (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.


<1> Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe, via Flickr (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.

Sources/Archives (6)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 5152 2957 (7m by 9m)
Map sheet NH52NW
Civil Parish URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (4)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.