MHG31372 - Conon Cottage and Conon Homes, School Road, Conon Bridge
Former nurses' homes built in 1902 in memory of Sir Kenneth Smith Mackenzie of Gairloch.
Type and Period (3)
- NURSES HOSTEL (Built, 20th Century - 1902 AD to 1902 AD)
- LYCH GATE (Built, 20th Century - 1902 AD to 1902 AD)
- BOUNDARY WALL (Built, 20th Century - 1902 AD to 1902 AD)
A pair of ornamental cottages, an associated lych gate and outbuildings occupy an island site surrounded by coped rubble boundary walls between School Road and Station Road. Designed by W C Joass, the cottages were built as nurses' homes in 1902 as a memorial to Sir Kenneth MacKenzie of Gairloch. Further information is available in Historic Scotland's listed building description. <1>
Two plaques either side of the gate, one in English and the other in Gaelic, give more information about Sir Kenneth.
The English plaque reads:
"1902, Nurses Homes, Ross and Cromarty. In memory of SIR KENNETH SMITH MACKENZIE of Gairloch, Baronet, who Died 9th February 1900. Lord Lieutenant 1881-1899, Convener and Chairman of Commissioners of Supply and of County Council 1855-1900. His Fellow-Countryman founded this token of grateful respect for his high Character and long Public Services Constantly endeavouring to promote the welfare of all around him. He was much beloved and left an honoured name." <2><3>
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB 44622.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Martin Briscoe, 08/02/2010.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 54332 54949 (51m by 122m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB44622 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/233714 (View information held by RCAHMS about Conon Cottage on Canmore website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/233715 (View information held by RCAHMS about 1,2 Conon Homes on Canmore website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/233716 (View information held by RCAHMS about 3,4 Conon Homes on Canmore website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.