MHG31376 - Ardclach Burial Ground
The burial ground surrounding the old parish kirk at Ardclach.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
NH94NE 3 9548 4503.
Church (NAT) OS 6"map, Nairnshire, 2nd ed., (1906)
Ardclach Parish Church is said to have been built 1626; records showing rebuilding in 1762 and 1839, and renovation in 1892.
It is said to have been dedicated to St Luag, who died in 592, but this is unlikely as Ardclach is a post-Reformation parish, the area having been served previously by two chapels - at Ferness (NH94SE 2) and Lethen (NH95NW ). It seems possible that the local association with St Luag belongs to the chapel at Ferness.
G Bain 1893; H Scott et al 1915-61; W J Watson 1926; NSA 1845. <1>-<4>
There is little or no evidence of a 17th century building in the present structure. The church is no longer in use, the last service being held on 24th January 1956 (Info from Rev D W D Johnston, Auldearn).
No information regarding the alleged dedication. The burial ground is still in use. The present parish church, formerly the Free Church, is at NH 9485 4599.
Visited by OS (R L) 19 January 1971.
A survey of the 225 graveyard monuments of Ardclach churchyard was carried out by S Farrell. The memorials in the churchyard date from the late 18th century to the modem day. They are in a variety of styles including slabs, obelisks, pedestals, tablestones and headstones. The vast majority are in good condition, only a few being damaged or broken.
Individual recording sheets were completed for each monument. <5>
Monument survey also mentioned in Discovery and Excavation. <6>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Leonella Longmore. 2000. Land of Churches.
- --- Text/Publication/Article/Newspaper Article: Ardclach Old Parish Church. 1994. [Ardclach Old Parish Church, newscutting]. Nairnshire Telegraph.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 13, Nairn, 39.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Bain, G. 1893. History of Nairnshire. 2nd ed.. 506.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, H et al (eds.). 1915-61. Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Rev.. Vol. 6, 430.
- <4> Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1926. The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916. 338.
- <5> Text/Report: Farrell, S. 10/1997. Ardclach Churchyard: A Survey of its Memorials. Unaffiliated. . Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <6> Text/Publication/Article: Farrell, S. 1997. 'Inverness and Nairn Graveyard Survey (Ardclach; Croy & Dalcross; Daviot & Dunlichity; Moy & Dalarossie; Nairn; Urquhart & Glenmoriston parishes), survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.43. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 43. 43.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9547 4504 (70m by 102m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB554 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/266962 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.