MHG7173 - Ardclach Old Parish Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
NH94NE 3 9548 4503.
Church (NAT) OS 6"map, Nairnshire, 2nd ed., (1906)
Ardclach Parish Church is said to have been built 1626; records showing rebuilding in 1762 and 1839 and renovation 1892. It is said to have been dedicated to St Luag, who died 592, but this is unlikely as Ardclach is a post-Reformation parish, the area having been served previously by two chapels - at Ferness (NH94SE 2) and Lethen (NH95NW ). Possible that local association with St Luag belongs to chapel at Ferness.
G Bain 1893; H Scott et al 1915-61; W J Watson 1926; NSA 1845. <1>-<4>
There is little or no evidence of 17th century building in present structure. The church is no longer in use, last service being held on 24th January 1956 (Info from Rev D W D Johnston, Auldearn).
No info regarding the alleged dedication. The burial ground is still in use. The present parish church, formerly Free Church, is at NH 9485 4599.
Visited by OS (R L) 19 January 1971.
A survey of 225 graveyard monuments of Ardclach churchyard was carried out by S Farrell in October 1997.
The present church at Ardclach was built in 1765 (by AndrewMcAndrew) replacing an earlier church of 1626. Reconstructed in 1839 at a cost of£500 (by George Dunbar and John Wilson) and renovated in 1892 (by Alexander Reid). The church of 1839 had seating for 686. The furnishings of the church have been transferred to the present parish church, which was formerly Ardclach Free Church. At present the church is disused and its future uncertain. The church is T-shaped in plan, built of yellow sandstone rubble with a slate roof. <5>
Memorial survey also mentioned in Discovery and Excavation Scotland. <6>
There is a photo of site in 1900 in Thomson diaries. This may have been part of a series commissioned before they left the parish in 1900. <7>
A watching brief was undertaken prior to the construction of a car park adjacent to the church and churchyard of Ardclach. No archaeological features were revealed during the work. The only finds were some white-glazed pottery, and a charcoal spread. <8>
- --- SHG13308 Image/Photograph(s): Ardclach Church.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG13309 Image/Photograph(s): Ardclach Church.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG13310 Image/Photograph(s): Ardclach Church.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG13917 Image/Photograph(s): Ardclack Church. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG15488 Image/Photograph(s): Ardclach Church. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG2414 Text/Publication/Volume: Leonella Longmore. 2000. Land of Churches.
- --- SHG2425 Text/Publication/Volume: Love J, McMullen E (ed). 1994. A Salmon for the Schoolhouse, A Nairnshire Parish in the C19.
- --- SHG24430 Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 17. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 332.
- --- SHG24430 Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 17. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 338.
- --- SHG24431 Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 18. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 349.
- --- SHG2999 Text/Publication/Article/Newspaper Article: Ardclach Old Parish Church. 1994. [Ardclach Old Parish Church, newscutting]. Nairnshire Telegraph.
- <1> SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 13, Nairn, 39.
- <2> SHG1938 Text/Publication/Volume: Bain, G. 1893. History of Nairnshire. 2nd ed.. 506.
- <3> SHG2773 Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, H et al (eds.). 1915-61. Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Rev.. Vol. 6, 430.
- <4> SHG2918 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1926. The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916. 338.
- <5> SHG21888 Text/Report: Farrell, S. 10/1997. Ardclach Churchyard: A Survey of its Memorials. Unaffiliated. . Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <6> SHG934 Text/Publication/Article: Farrell, S. 1997. 'Inverness and Nairn Graveyard Survey (Ardclach; Croy & Dalcross; Daviot & Dunlichity; Moy & Dalarossie; Nairn; Urquhart & Glenmoriston parishes), survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.43. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 43. 43.
- <7> SHG23635 Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 10/2004.
- <8> SHG21252 Text/Report: Farrell, S. 09/1999. Ardclach Church: Report of Archaeological Watching Brief. Unaffiliated. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9547 4502 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB554 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/BAR/detail.aspx?sctID=1498 (Buildings at Risk register entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15484 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.