MHG31381 - St. Clement's Burial Ground, Dingwall
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH55NW 47 5493 5896
George Burn, Haddington, 1799-1803. Rectangular with octagonal tower and spire.
Gate piers and burial ground walls; W C Joass, 1875-76. Various 17th, 18th and 19th century tomb stones, some in burial enclosures re-using walling from previous church. Milne bell of 1754.
SDD list; Inverness Courier 6 April 1854; 16 December 1875; 6 January 18 76; 23 August 1877 (Advertisments for tenders); Dingwall Presbytery Minutes, 19 December 1799. <1>
REFERENCE: Dingwall Presbytery Minutes December 19th 1799-specification and offer of finishing the work from Mr GB, Architect, haddington. Plan secured.
Late C18? Church still in use survives in graveyard that surrounds it and earlier church. Photos. <2>
A comprehensive monumental inscription survey has been completed by the 'Highland Family History Society'. This survey does not include photos of each stone. Please contact Chairperson, John Durham for copies of the report.
J Aitken : 18/12/02
Visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust: site contains a parish church in use surrounded by a large burial ground containing some ruinous structures. The gravestones are varied: table-tops, uprights, celtic crosses, and the ground is uneven indicating layers of burials over time.Most, (but not all), of the gravestones point east.
St Clement’s has benefited from recent investigations into the history of the site. ‘St Clement’s Aisle – A Historical Investigation by D.D. MacDonald’, explains how the written, mapped and archaeological evidence help our understanding of the redundant structures within the burial ground. He concludes that St Clement’s Chapel, or aisle was founded in 1529 by William Kemp and was likely to have been dedicated to St Clement as protection for the seamen and merchants who worked nearby. The aisle was then used as the burial place of the Tutor of Kintail and his descendants from 1628, leading to the alternative name of Tutor’s Aisle, and was later used as a burial place by the Mackenzies of Fairburn. <3><4>
Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, Vol.2, 11 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.
NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, Vol.14, (Ross & Cromarty), 230 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.
Hay, G, 1957, The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843, 118, 272 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2307.
MacDonald, D, 1976, St Clement's looks back: a (congregational) history of Dingwall's parish church (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2436.
<1> SDD, 1960-, List of Buildings of Architectural or Historical Interest, (Lists held in Architectural Department of RCAHMS), (Dingwall parish), 21-2, no.17 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2785.
<2> White, H, Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist, 10/2002 (Verbal Communication). SHG23635.
<3> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.
<4> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hay, G. 1957. The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843. 118, 272.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacDonald, D. 1976. St Clement's looks back: a (congregational) history of Dingwall's parish church.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol.14, (Ross & Cromarty), 230.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol.2, 11.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: SDD. 1960-. List of Buildings of Architectural or Historical Interest, (Lists held in Architectural Department of RCAHMS). (Dingwall parish), 21-2, no.17.
- <2> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 10/2002.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5494 5897 (75m by 91m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:24516 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB24516 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.