MHG7464 - St. Clement's Church and Burial Ground, Dingwall
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH55NW0005 St. Clement's Aisle
NH55NW0007 Symbol stone
LC18? Church still in use survives in graveyard that surrounds it and earlier church. Photos - HAW 10/2002
NH55NW 47 5493 5896
George Burn, Haddington, 1799-1803. Rectangular with octagonal tower and spire.
Gate piers and burial ground walls; W C Joass, 1875-76. Various 17th, 18th and 19th century tomb stones, some in burial enclosures re-using walling from previous church. Milne bell of 1754.
SDD list; Inverness Courier 6 April 1854; 16 December 1875; 6 January 18 76; 23 August 1877 (Advertisments for tenders); Dingwall Presbytery Minutes, 19 December 1799.
ARCHITECT: George Burn, Haddington 1799-1803
REFERENCE: Dingwall Presbytery Minutes December 19th 1799-specification and offer of finishing the work from Mr GB, Architect, haddington. Plan secured.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hay, G. 1957. The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843. 118, 272.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacDonald, D. 1976. St Clement's looks back: a (congregational) history of Dingwall's parish church.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Taylor, A. 02/2010. A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol.14, (Ross & Cromarty), 230.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol.2, 11.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: SDD. 1960-. List of Buildings of Architectural or Historical Interest, (Lists held in Architectural Department of RCAHMS). (Dingwall parish), 21-2, no.17.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5493 5895 (20m by 17m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB24516 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.