MHG31385 - Lochbroom Parish Church and Burial Ground, Inverbroom
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Medieval to 21st Century - 1058 AD to 2100 AD)
NH18SE 1 1771 8479.
The modern parish church, built in 1817 is on or near site of its predecessor which dates back to at least early 13th c, Mathew, the parson of Lochbroom, being mentioned in 1227. OPS 1855 <1>
There is no trace of the old church. It is locally believed that a wall foundation, exposed when digging a grave just to the W of the N corner of the present church in 1962, was part of the old church foundations. This is possible, but the ground indications suggest that this was more likely part of the old graveyard wall.
The graveyard is extended and still in use. The oldest stones visible are two plaques mounted in the wall of MacKenzie vault near the centre of the graveyard which bear the dates 1724 and 1732. Visited by OS (A A) 9 October 1974
'Wester Ross Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G. Beattie & Margaret H. Beattie. The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1987, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1997, with corrections. <2>J Aitken : 20/12/02
Graveyard surrounds the church on both N & S side. S side has older vault in central part of it. N side has modern gravestones. <3>
See Report Library No. 568, 655 & 1003, Clachan Churchyard, Memorial Survey. S Farrell, 1999.
J Aitken : 28/10/02.
Visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. Rural church in use surrounded by kirkyard. The older part of the burial ground lies to the south of the church, with the more recent burials to the north. In the newer area the burials are laid out in straight rows, and are marked with upright memorials. The older part has a more random layout and varied types of gravestone. The church sits in a hollow and the ground to the south is raised and contains old stone burial enclosures and seems the most likely area for any previous church that may have been on this site. <4><5>
<1> OPS, 1855, Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland, Vol 2 (pt. 2) 407-8 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG342.
<2> Beattie, A G & Beattie, M H (eds.), 1997, Pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions in Wester Ross : a summary of and index to, pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions found in burial grounds in the parishes of Kincardine, Lochbroom, Gairloch, Applecross, Lochcarron, Lochalsh, Kintail and Glenshiel (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2162.
<3> White, H, Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist, 12/2002 (Verbal Communication). SHG23635.
<4> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.
<5> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. Vol 2 (pt. 2) 407-8.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Beattie, A G & Beattie, M H (eds.). 1997. Pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions in Wester Ross : a summary of and index to, pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions found in burial grounds in the parishes of Kincardine, Lochbroom, Gairloch, Applecross, Lochcarron, Lochalsh, Kintail and Glenshiel. 2nd. Paper (Original).
- <3> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 12/2002.
- <4> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <5> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1770 8478 (76m by 78m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:7760 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7760 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.