MHG7829 - Lochbroom Parish Church and Burial Ground, Inverbroom
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1058 AD to 2100 AD)
J Aitken : 11/12/02
Graveyard surrounds the church on both N & S side. S side has older vault in central part of it. N side has modern gravestones. - HAW 12/2002
See Report Library No. 568, 655 & 1003, Clachan Churchyard, Memorial Survey. S Farrell, 1999.
J Aitken : 28/10/02.
NH18SE 1 1771 8479.
(NH 1771 8479) The modern parish church, built in 1817 is on or near the site of its predecessor which dates back to at least the early 13th c, Mathew, the parson of Lochbroom, being mentioned in 1227. OPS 1855
There is no trace of the old church. It is locally believed that a wall foundation, exposed when digging a grave just to the W of the N corner of the present church in 1962, was part of the old church foundations. This is possible, but the ground indications suggest that this was more likely part of the old graveyard wall.
The graveyard is extended and still in use. The oldest stones visible are two plaques mounted in the wall of MacKenzie vault near the centre of the graveyard which bear the dates 1724 and 1732. Visited by OS (A A) 9 October 1974
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1771 8479 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7760 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12125 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.