MHG31402 - Edderton Old Church, graveyard
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
Edderton Church is listed as one of the Churches of the Diocese of Ross. No dedication is given (Macrae 1923).
It probably stands on the site of a pre-Reformation church, and was itself built in 1743 (OPS 1855).
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; N Macrae 1923 <1><2>
The U.F. Church bears a date stone 1743 at its SW corner eave. At the E end of the present building, still in use as a place of public worship, is the ivy covered ruin of an earlier building standing 3.0m high and with walls 0.6m thick. It has a stone dated 1637 under the ivy at the SE corner. Two small windows have been blocked in the E wall and the interior is largely filled with rubble. Its W gable has been incorporated in the present church. At the W end of the present church is an eighteenth century family vault.
Visited by OS (RDL) 16 May 1963.
Burial enclosure to the East of the Church was cleared out by Field Archaeology Specialists, York University. Their contested conclusion was that there was no construction in the building that pre-dated the 17th century. <3>
Information on the transcriptions of some of the older stones in Edderton graveyard was compiled by the Rev. Donald Macrae.
Information supplied by Reay Clarke, 05/02/03
Church being renovated 2003, necessitating work around the graveyard (see photos). Area all around the church building lowered. Clearing back of external building extensions and grave enclosures nearest to church/ Plus of course extensive burials recovered under church floor. Drainage ditches across graveyard to have archaeological watching brief. <4>
Rural renovated church situated in kirkyard with adjoining walls of former chapel at east end. The kirkyard is well maintained and the church is in very good condition having been completely renovated in 2003. There is a modern extension to the burial ground to the west. The gravestones in the older part face east. Visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. <5><6>
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 414.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: MacRae, N. 1923. The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years. 289.
- <3> Text/Report: Roe A. Edderton Church,. Field Archaeology Specialists Ltd (FAS). . .
- <4> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 10/2003.
- <5> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <6> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7192 8421 (52m by 56m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB4572 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14744 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.