MHG8648 - Edderton Old Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
Site visit 1/10/2003: renovations proceeding apace and nearig completion. Externally reharled, extension (16??) on N side has had its wall replaced & all is now remortared. Internal timberwork being replaced and plastering on ground floor complete.Windows are back in situ. Extensive stripping of ground surface around the church has been undertaken. The depth of removal in places reaches c60cm. Trial trench along the E side of the church (where drainage is proposed)_already dug to depth of c30cm. - HAW 10/2003
Report on church (10.2000) as part of bid for Lottery funding, has details of York work on "C17" chapel and Oram's historical review of church.
Major renovation work started on church May 2003, all fittings & floors stripped out, arch clearing of surfaces to check possible impact of proposed new floors. Extensive burials and disturbed bone revealed (see file for site notes) plus other finds - HAW 5/2003
NH78SW0022 Preaching site
NH78SW0003 Cross slab
NH78SW0021 Stones, carved
J Aitken : 12/12/02
'Edderton Old Church Preservation Trust' are currently raising money in order to fund essential repair work to church. The Trust is working with Histroic Scotland.
Info supplied by Reay Clarke, 05/010/3
Hlink digital photos taken by John Wood 9/99 when burial enclosure was cleared out by York University.
York University's report on this work still awaited 3/11/99
See 'children' sites
RCAHMS Notes as follows -
NH78SW 4 7191 8422.
Church (NAT) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
Edderton listed as one of Churches of Diocese of Ross. No dedication given (Macrae 1923). It probably stands on site of a pre-Reformation church, and was itself built in 1743 (OPS 1855).
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; N Macrae 1923
UF Church bears date stone 1743 at its SW corner eave. At E end of present building, still in use as a place of public worship, is ivy covered ruin of an earlier building standing 3m high and with walls 0.6m thick. It has a stone dated 1637 under ivy at SE corner. Two small windows have been blocked in E wall and the interior is largely filled with rubble. Its W gable has been incorporated in present church. At W end of present church is an eighteenth century family vault.
Visited by OS (RDL) 16 May 1963.
This site was photographed from the air by Jim Bone in 2008. <1>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Edderton.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacRae, N. 1923. The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years. 289.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 414.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Oblique: Bone, J. 2008-9. Aerial photographs of various HER sites submitted by Jim Bone. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7191 8422 (19m by 17m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: Cross-slab - Edderton Church (Monument) (MHG8649)
- Parent of: Edderton Old Church (carved stones) (Monument) (MHG7492)
- Parent of: Edderton Old Church, graveyard (Monument) (MHG31402)
- Parent of: Edderton Old Parish Church, Preaching Ark (Monument) (MHG21928)
- Part of: Fearnmore, General (Monument) (MHG17647)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB4572 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14744 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.