MHG31426 - Burial Ground and Grave Markers - Cill Fhionntain


No summary available.

Type and Period (3)

  • CEMETERY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GRAVE MARKER (Early Bronze Age to Medieval - 2400 BC? to 1559 AD?)
  • BURIAL ENCLOSURE (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

(NM 5790 4987) Chapel (NR) (rems of)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

Cill Leuntaig (NR)
OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1900)

Chapel and Burial-ground, Killundine: The burial-ground at Killundine (at NM 5795 4988), which contains the 19th-century burial-enclosure of the family of Cheape of Killundine, is of recent origin. However, (at NM 5790 4987) on a low knoll some 30m to the W, there are the turf-covered remains of a rectangular building which measures about 7.6m from E to W by 3.0m transversely within 0.7 m walls standing to a maximum height of 0.8m. A gap at the centre of the S wall may mark the position of the entrance-doorway. This structure stands in the NW angle of a small D-shaped enclosure, defined on the N and W by sloping ground, and on the E and S by a curving stony bank.
Although the name 'Cill Leuntaig' was applied to this site by the OS in the 19th century, its Gaelic name is 'Cill Fhionntain, the dedication being to St Fintan. The orientation and plan-form of the building described above suggest that it was a chapel, but in view of its elongated proportions it must be attributed to the medieval period, although the site was evidently in use at an earlier date.
Two Early Christian grave-markers from the burial-ground are at present in the care of Mr Iain Thornber, Ardtornish. One, which is in two pieces, has been a roughly-shaped pillar measuring 1.43m high, 0.24m in maximum width and 0.065m thick; it has an incised cross on both faces, the edges being plain. The other stone measures 0.64m high, 0.12m in maximum width and from 0.05m to 0.09m in thickness; the foot has been roughly trimmed to a point and there is an incised cross on one face only.
RCAHMS 1980; Name Book 1872; W J Watson 1926; I Thornber 1974.

When seen in 1970, the remains of the chapel were in a condition similar to that described by the RCAHMS.
The grave markers were found in 1970, at NM 5793 4987, inside the W corner of the burial ground (now disused) They were found prostrate beside the graveyard wall and were probably brought from elsewhere. Surveyed at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (R L) 9 June 1970.

Chapel and small burial-ground, dedicated to St Fintan. The following stones are now displayed in the Session House Museum in Keil churchyard, Lochaline (NM 6782 4510).
(1) Pillar, 1.43m by 0.24m, broken across. On each face is an incised equal-armed cross, one having round terminals.
(2) Pillar, 0.64m by 0.12m, broken at the top. It bears an inverted Latin cross, and has a slightly cruciform outline with projections in line with the cross-arm. <1>

GIS spaytial data amended in 2021 according to the location of the site as shown on 2009 vertical APs. <2>

See also:
NM54NE0001 Chapel
J Aitken : 17/12/02

Sources/Archives (6)



Grid reference Centred NM 5791 4987 (24m by 21m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NM54NE
Civil Parish MORVERN
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (4)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.