MHG3145 - BA Socketed Axehead - Roskill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A socketed bronze axe and part of its handle of hazel, the axe being 3 7/8" long and 2 3/16" across the cutting edge, socket oval and measuring 1 3/4" and 1 5/8" in diameter. It is encircled by two narrow prominent mouldings, one at the top of the loop and the other midway between it and the mouth of the socket. When found in a peat bank at Roskill, Dunvegan, 6' below the surface, it still retained its handle, but most of it crumbled away on being lifted; the part which fitted into the socket, though shrunken, has survived; this piece measures 4 11/16" in length. Now in the NMAS, Edinburgh (DE 99).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1932; J M Coles 1962.
(Socketed axe of Dowris type). Single find. Socketed axe, black, partly trimmed, cutting edge hammered, haft ribs, part of a hazelwood handle was apparently found with the axe; length 98mm, mouth 29x32mm, cutting edge 56mm, weight 250 gms.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
The axehead is listed under Acc. No. DE 99 and the wooded haft under Acc. No. DE 100 in the NMS catalogue. <1>
- --- SHG1476 Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 69.
- --- SHG3000 Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 198, no. 1154.
- --- SHG571 Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1932. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 66 1931-2, p.13-32, 102-5, 137-9, 398-400, 421-5,. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 13-32, 102-5, 137-9, 398-. 17; illust..
- <1> SHG28278 Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DE 99, DE 100.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 2799 4400 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- HANDLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/10840 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.