MHG3157 - Caisteal Uisdein
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWER HOUSE (Undated)
NG35NE 1 3804 5824.
(NG 3804 5824) Caisteal Uisdein (NR) (Ruin)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
Caisteal Uisdein - similar in type to Castle Maol (NG72NE 1), quadrangular on plan measuring externally 49ft 8ins x 32ft 9ins and orientated E-W. The walls vary from 7-9ft thick and are of randon rubble. There are no mouldings or string courses, the basaltic material being unsuitable. A scarcement of 9ins on the side walls to carry the first floor beams shows that the ceiling was not vaulted. The basement is lit by two small loops only; there are no other openings. The doorway is in the first floor, 9ft above ground level. Four other indefinite openings in the walls, two in the S wall, and one each in the N and W walls are probably windows.
The tower is reputed to have been built by "Uistean Mac Ghilleaspuig Chlerich' about 1580 (RCAHMS 1928).
The spelling of the name on OS 6"map, (1904) is a typographical error (Name Book 1877).
Name Book 1877; RCAHMS 1928.
Caisteal Uisdein; a 16th century tower as described above. Roofless but in good condition.
Visited by OS (A S P) 15 April 1961.
- --- SHG2516 Text/Publication/Volume: Miket, R. and Roberts, D.L.. 1990. The medieval castles of Skye and Lochalsh. 1st. 38-43.
- --- SHG2656 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 193-4, No. 617.
- --- SHG3339 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 1, 72.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 3805 5825 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM8465 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11121 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.