MHG31749 - Fearn Abbey, graveyard
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Medieval to 21st Century - 1058 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Church in use with ruins of old abbey, within historic churchyard. Varied gravestones, many flat slabs under the grass. The Rosses of Balnagown used the east end of the church as a burial place. The boundary walls were repaired, and new gateways formed, at the start of the 19th century by John Sutherland, a mason at Cromarty. <1><2>
Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe via the Highland HER Flickr group.<3>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8373 7728 (63m by 76m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15264 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.