MHG31749 - Fearn Abbey, graveyard

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CEMETERY (Medieval to 21st Century - 1058 AD to 2100 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Church in use with ruins of old abbey, within historic churchyard. Varied gravestones, many flat slabs under the grass. The Rosses of Balnagown used the east end of the church as a burial place. The boundary walls were repaired, and new gateways formed, at the start of the 19th century by John Sutherland, a mason at Cromarty. <1><2>

Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe via the Highland HER Flickr group.<3>


Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe, via Flickr (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.


<1> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.


<2> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 8373 7728 (63m by 76m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH87NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish FEARN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.