MHG318 - Ordnance Survey Camp, Creach Bheinn
An Ordnance Survey encampment situated beside the triangulation station on Creach Bheinn.
Type and Period (1)
- COLBY CAMP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NM85NE 2 870 577.
(NM 870 577) An encampment, erected on the orders of Col. Colby, was noted beside the Primary Triangulation Station on Creach Bheinn. The lay-out follows the usual plan for camps of this type. The camp was established in the nearest position to the pillar that afforded any shelter; i.e. in a shallow saddle about 100' away - a well-laid footpath connecting the two, and running through the camp to the guard or cook-house (1) on the N side. This 'house' seems to have been the only 'roofed' building in the camp, probably because fires were lit there for drying and cooking; it only measures about 10' square. The windbreak wall (6) is still in perfect condition, about 8' high and built of handpicked stones - the top is as level as a pavement. The wall (7) is similar, but lower and has fallen in places. Nos. 2, 3, and 4 on plan are low stone circles which surrounded (probably) the larger tents in which the labourers and sappers were accommodated. The smaller tent circle (5) it will be seen lies on its own, and nearer to the trig.: in all probability this was the observer's (officers) watch tent. The footpath is now covered by moss etc. at its W end, but was no doubt once continuous.
Information contained in letter from R J Stone to A R Martin (OS), visited 27 July 1951.
Thumbnail photo and close-up hyperlinked photo from Mollie Hosking, Surrey. Sent in with enquiry, 12.06.01. <2>
Creach Bheinn entered the schedule of monuments on 07/06/04. Letter received from HS on 25/06/04.
See Assoc. docs. File <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Fellingham, W. 1991. 'Pillars of society', Scotland's What's On Vol. 16 June 1991, p.38-44. Scotland's What's On. 38-44. 39.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): View of Colby Camp, Carnoch.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- <3> Verbal Communication: Aitken, J. Comments by Jacquie Aitken, SMR Assistant.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 8699 5770 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM11059 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23114 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.