MHG3191 - Glenfinnan Railway Station, Ticket Office, Waiting Room and Signal Box
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- RAILWAY STATION (In use, 19th Century to 21st Century - 1900 AD to 2100 AD)
- BOOKING OFFICE (Built, Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- WAITING ROOM (Built, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1900 AD to 1901 AD)
NM88SE 1 8991 8097
(Location cited as NM 899 810). Glenfinnan Station, opened 1901 by the West Highland Extension Rly. A two-platform through station. The down-platform building is a single-storey, reinforced-concrete structure with bow windows facing the platform. The roof is large enough to form an awning, to which glazed side screens have been added. There is a small wooden shelter on the up platform. Other stations on the extension, such as Banavie (NN17NW 20) and Locheilside (NM97NE 1), have similar main buildings.
J R Hume 1977.
Station cottage opened as museum, 22 May 1991.
(Name cited as Glenfinnan for Loch Shiel Station). This intermediate station on the Fort William (Mallaig Junction) - Mallaig line (the 'West Highland Extension') of the former North British Rly was opened on 1 April 1901. It remains in regular passenger use.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 August 1998.
A RCAHMS photographic survey of Glenfinnan Railway Station was undertaken, during May 1999, in order to enhance and augment the National Monuments Record Scotland holdings.
Opened 1.4.1901 (WHR)
A photographic survey of the buildings was undertaken in 2011. <1>
The statutory address and listing description were amended by Historic Scotland as part of the Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13). <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 104.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 203.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Thomas, J. 1976. The West Highland railway. 2nd ed.. 97, 104, 161.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Gay, J. 2011. Photographic survey of Glenfinnan Station: Goods shed, main building and Signal box. Colour. Digital.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Brough, Y.. 2013. Glenfinnan Railway Station, Ticket Office/Waiting Room and Signal Box: notification of amendment to list description. Historic Scotland. 09/07/2013. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 8987 8097 (18m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB312 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB312 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/74593 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.