MHG3213 - Farmstead with Associated Field System, Culcairn
Site of a farmstead comprising of rectangular buildings, of which only the footings now remain, and an associated field system.
Type and Period (2)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)
- None recorded
Two buildings are situated on a terrace on the W side of the valley of the Allt Beag, with a field-system to the E. Both buildings are rectangular, aligned N-S, entered from the E, and levelled into the slope. The footings of the buildings are of coursed rubble, and measure about 1m in thickness and up to 1m in height. The N building (USN93 369) has three compartments and measures 25.6m by 3.6m internally, with a stone-built terrace along the E side. The second building (USN93 370) measures 6.4m by 3.2m internally and has an outshot to the N. What may have been a third building is situated immediately to the NE. One building, possibly the first described, is shown as roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, 1875, sheet ) with one building also shown on a map of 1859 (SRO: RHP 12046).
(USN93 369, 370)
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 18 March 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6949 3030 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78412 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.