MHG323 - Lead Mine, Whitesmith
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- LEAD MINE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
See hyperlink for further details.
A M Fox, Highland Council, 04.10.01
NM86NW 3.00 83 65
Not to be confused with NM86NE 1 and NM86NW 4.
NM86NW 3.01 NM 832 658 Lead Mine
NM86NW 3.02 NM 830 653 Lead Mine
(Location cited as NM 83 66). 17th century and later. An interesting group of mines with a series of shafts along the vein. There are remains of rubble buildings at various points.
J R Hume 1977
1992 application for planning permission affects area around NM 830 650. Information from D M Low, Highland Regional Council, 30 October 1992
Six roofed, three unroofed buildings and four enclosures are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet xviii). Three roofed and five unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 30 April 1998
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Cregeen, E R. 1969. 'The tacksmen and their successors: a study of the tenurial reorganisation in Mull, Morvern and Tiree in the early eighteenth century', Scot Stud Vol. 13 1969, p.93-144. Scot Stud. 93-144. 138-9, n. 27.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hay and Stell, G D and G P. 1986. Monuments of industry. 155.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 52, 147.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 19. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 387.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1980. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll (excluding the early medieval and later monuments of Iona). . 253-5, No. 392; pl. 109 (A).
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Cameron, A. 1941. 'A page from the past: the lead mines at Strontian', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness, Vol 38, 1937-41, pp 444-52.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Achness, Invercassley. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council. Mine workings, by Strontian. Colour Slide; Digital Image. . Original & digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 8299 6500 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23120 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.