MHG32305 - Hut circle - Camore Woods
A hut circle at Camore Woods.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
A hut circle at Camore Woods. Recorded by the OS as Hut circle 'B'. The hut circle is marked on the 1st edition OS map.
('A' NH 7807 8960) Hut Circle (NR)
('B' NH 7806 8936) Hut Circle (NR)
('C' NH 7778 8950) Hut Circle (NR)
('D' NH 7762 8952, 'E' NH 7752 8946) Hut Circles (NR) (2 shown)
('G' NH 7742 8938, 'Z' NH 7738 8933) Hut Circles (NR) (2 shown)
('H' NH 7731 8951, 'J' NH 7722 8941) Hut Circles (NR) (2 shown)
('M' NH 7703 8936) Hut Circle (NR)
('N' and 'O' NH 7715 8933, 'Q' NH 7713 8926) Hut Circles (NR) (2 shown) ('S' NH 7722 8922, 'Y' NH 7725 8916, 'T' NH 7724 8921) Hut Circles (NR) (3 shown)
('U' NH 7722 8900) Hut Circle (NR)
(NH 770 893) Cairns (NR)
(NH 771 894) Cairns (NR)
(NH 773 894) Cairns (NR)
(NH 7740 8936)Cairn (NR)
(NH 7762 8951) Cairn (NR)
OS 6" map, (1959)
Some 300 yards SE of the cairn (NH78NE 1) near the centre of Camore Wood, at the edge of a clearing, is a hut circle (possibly Hut 'L'). It measures 30' x 34' internally, within a bank 5' 6" to 6' thick except at the entrance, in the SE, where it projects outwards on either side to form a passage 10 or 11' in length and 9' in width.
On top of a knoll some 300 yards S is a circular enclosure 28' internal diamter, within a bank 6' thick. The interior has been hollowed out.
The entrance, from the NE is 6' wide. There are several small mounds and the remains of a few simple oval hut circles about the wood at this point, but undergrowth and planting have obscured the details.
Four of the 'hut circles' noted on the OS map in the E half of the wood have more the appearance of cattle enclosures.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
Centred at NH 775 894 is a settlement of 25 stone-walled huts ('A' to 'Y') and the remains of a contemporary field system.
All the huts are circular and with the exception of 'D', 'E', 'I', 'L', 'M', 'O' and 'P', are formed by a wall spread to a regular width all round. Huts 'C' to 'Y' are mutilated by reafforestation.
Apart from 'D', 'L', 'O' and 'P' the measurements are given between wall centres.
'B' is the same size as 'A' (c.13.5m with the wall spread to c.2.5m) and has a 'simple' entrance in the NE,
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (R L) 31 March 1971.
The site was scheduled in 1975.
The hut circle was recorded by Dornoch Heritage Society in 1993. B 4: Plan: 13.5m diam, simple entrance in NE c1.5m wide. Boulder immediately outside entrance appears to be displaced from NW side of entrance. Around S arc outside hut wall are traces of what appears to be drainage ditch. <1>
GIS spatial data amended in 2019 according to location as seen on 2009 vertical APs. <2>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 42, No. 121.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Hut Circle, Camore Wood. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Robertson, S.J.T.. 1993. Camore & Sydera Woods Settlement of Hut Circles, Dornoch 1993. Dornoch Heritage Society. Paper and Digital. Site B (4).
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7806 8937 (22m by 22m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3802 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14625 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/275264 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.