MHG32333 - Old Distillery, Helmsdale

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • DISTILLERY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Old Distillery marked on 1st edition OS, long linear building overlooking sea to E of village. <1>

The distillery noted on the first edition OS 1:2500 map of 1873 spread out along the coast in this area was not visible during field survey. A modern house occupies the approximate location of the old distillery. <2>

The distillery was originally run by A and D Simpson between 1825 and 1831, subsequently by Alexander Simpson & Co. between 1831 and 1837 and finally by James Christie & Co. The latter went bankrupt in 1840 and the distillery was closed and dismantled. (taken from http://www.wormtub.com/distilleries/distillery.php?distillery=Helmsdale)

The sequestration of James Christie & Company was posted in The Edinburgh Gazette newspaper dated (on or around) 24th August 1840. James and John Christie were also bankers or bank agents in Golspie.

The distillery is described as 'respectable' in Pigot & Co'.s Commercial Directory of Scotland.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 0357 1540 (66m by 67m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND01NW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish KILDONAN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.