MHG3246 - Lochan Dubh
Site of the remains of two buildings which probably formed part of a farmstead.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
There are two buildings situated to either side of a track at the back of a terrace to the W of the River Nairn, the largest (USN93 35) of which is shown as roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, 1875, sheet xliii). This building (USN 35) measures 36m from NNW to SSE by 4.9m within mortared rubble walls 0.65m measuring in thickness and up to 2.5m in height. There are six compartments, one of which contains fireplaces, while another has slit windows and opposed entrances, and may have been a barn. The second building lies to the W, is dug into the slope, may have been open on the E, and was possibly a cart-shed. The two buildings are also shown as roofed on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1904, sheet xxxi), with the addition of a further roofed building to the south, under the name of Glennairn.
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 1 December 1992.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6740 3115 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78417 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.