MHG32482 - Bus Depot, (Spa Motors), Strathpeffer
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- GARAGE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Large E shaped building on 1st ed OS, with another small building on W (ie bottom) side.
Spa Motors Depot, photos (external) in advance of alteration. 4 parallel and adjoining ranges. Those on the outside are probably the remains of the building depicted on OS (ie stone). Other 2 breeze? Block infill - HAW 10/2003
This was originally the steading for Kinnettas House (MHG16416). It appears as a large complex of buildings on the OS 1st edition map (1876). Its use as a garage predates mechanised transport. In the 1920s, it was run as a garage and taxi service by Davy Munro, who lived in Francis Villa. In return for keeping Davy’s accounts, Duncan Finlayson’s father kept his car at the garage, in an area where the remnants of the horse stalls were apparent. According to a 1949 prospectus for the sale of the Strathpeffer Estate, it was known as Kinnettas Garage, when let to William Kennedy, who built the bungalow next to the garage; Willie had previously been at Ben Wyvis Garage. There was a cinema at the back of the depot during the war.
Neil MacDonald has a photo of the horses and carriages in front of the garage.
Information from Duncan Finlayson; Neil Macdonald; Margaret Spark, ARCH Remembering Strathpeffer Project, 2011
Messrs John D. Wood & Co., 1949. Strathpeffer, Ross-shire. The Holiday Resort of the Northern Highlands. Part of the Strathpeffer Estate. For Sale by Auction as a Whole or in Lots <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4813 5799 (42m by 40m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.