MHG3251 - Loch Duntelchaig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- None recorded
NH63SW 74 6047 3100.
This township, which is situated on the NW side of Loch Duntelchaig beside an improved field, comprises five rectangular buildings. The buildings range in size from 7.4m to 12.3m in length by between 2.6m and 3.7m in breadth within faced-rubble walls measuring from 0.8m to 1m in thickness and standing up to 1.1m in height. Each building has a side entrance. Two of the buildings are sub-divided; one has three compartments and an extension to the NE (6.2m in length), and the other has two unequal compartments with an opening in the NE end (USN93 146 and 147 respectively), whilst there is an outshot on the back of a
third building with a separate entrance in its NE side (USN93 150). One of the buildings depicted as unroofed on the 1st edition of of the OS 6- map (Inverness-shire, 1875, sheet xxx) has an embanked NW end and a drain cut around it on the NE side (USN93 148).
Four of the buildings were roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, 1875, sheet xxx) when the settlement was known by the name of Baille, but all were abandoned by the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1905, sheet xxx). The Name Book describes the settlement as 'a crofter's house one storey high, with outbuildings; the whole thatched...' (ONB 1871).
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 21 October 1992.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6048 3099 (133m by 119m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78812 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.