MHG32563 - Findspot of stone axe - Clava
Chance find of a Neolithic polished stone axe.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
Neolithic polished axe reported to SMR by finder Doug Scott on 10/11/2003. He had visited to photograph the stone and found the axe in an area of cattle disturbance in the pasture "about 1m " from the stone.
Axe polished, c13.5cm long x 6.25cm wide, see photos, 2 large chips out of one face and damage to the other side (plough scrape? And smaller chip). Blade edge seems to be worn to one side. <1>
Neolithic polished stone axehead of hornfels. Surface find in 2003 by Mr D Scott in a field E of the Clava cairns. L 136mm x B 63mm x Th 34mm; Wt 372g. Claimed as Treasure Trove (TT 97/03) and allocated to Inverness Museum & Art Gallery.
A Saville 2004 <2>
Participants in a local adult education class pointed out that there were duplicate records for this site. All information has been merged into this record. <3>
The location of this find was confirmed with Douglas Scott on 16 June 2011. The above report in <1> is incorrect. Mr Scott found the axe some 4 to 6 metres to the south west of the stone. <4>
See attached TT report. Listed under Acc. No. 2004.034 in the IMAG catalogue. <5> <6> <7>
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 11/2003.
- <2> Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 273620.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Workers Education Association. 05/2011. Digital site gazetteer supplied by Culloden WEA Class via Susan Kruse. Yes. MDB. Site 3.
- <5> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 97/03.
- <6> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 97/03.
- <7> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 2004.034.
|Grid reference||NH 7594 4461 (point) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/273620 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.