MHG32576 - Hut circle, east of Durcha (5 of 5)
A hut circle, forming part of a prehistoric settlement and field system.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Late Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 1250 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Hut circle marked in this location on modern OS. <1>
A walkover survey in January 2008 identified a large hut circle situated on a southwest-facing slope. It appears as a large grass and heather-covered mound and has some stone showing within the southeast sector. The structure measures 13.5 metres over walls on the N-S axis by 13m over walls on the E-W axis, with an approximate wall thickness of between 1.5 and 2.5 metres. The walls stand to a maximum height of 0.8 metres. There are the remains of a possible entrance of indeterminate dimensions in the southeast quadrant of the structure.
The hut circle, together with Site 1b, is surrounded by clearance cairns which are most likely contemporary. <2>
This site corresponds to hut circle E under the parent record for this settlement (MHG12803). According to RCAHMS this hut circle has an internal diameter of 7.5m. <3>
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 11/2003.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S and Fraser, L. 01/2010. Woodland Establishment Archaeological Survey: East Durcha, Lairg, Sutherland. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 1a.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 50797 02234 (14m by 13m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5139 (View information held by RCAHMS on Canmore website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.