MHG32577 - Hut circle, east of Durcha (4 of 5)
A hut circle forming part of a prehistoric settlement and field system.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Late Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 1250 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Hut circle marked in this location on modern OS. <1>
This is hut circle D under the parent record for this settlement (MHG12803). The south arc of the hut circle has been destroyed by an old track but its entrance was presumably in the SE in common with the other huts. <2>
This hut circle was recorded during a walkover survey in January 2010, although the GPS-derived grid reference does not correspond precisely with the location given by RCAHMS. The report describes the hut circle as measuring 14 metres over walls varying between 1.8m and 2.4m in width. The walls survive to a maximum height of 0.8m and there are the remains of a possible entrance in the south east quadrant. The hut circle has been slightly truncated by the construction of a track of unknown date which runs along the outside of the plantation boundary fence. It is covered by dense stands of tall heather and deer grass. <3>
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 11/2003.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S and Fraser, L. 01/2010. Woodland Establishment Archaeological Survey: East Durcha, Lairg, Sutherland. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 5.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 50958 02153 (13m by 12m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5139 (View information held by RCAHMS on Canmore website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.