MHG326 - Standing Stone, Clach a' Bhranguis
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- STANDING STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- STOCKS (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Clach a' Phoanais (NAT)
OS 6" map, Agyllshire, 1st ed., (1873)
Clach a' Bhranguis (NAT)
OS 25"map, Argyllshire, (1898)
The stone, also known locally as the Branks Stone or the “Penance Stone”, is as described in 1970 and 1973. (RCAHMS, 1980, 71).
Field Verification Project (West Lochaber) - J Robertson, 03/2004
Clach a' Pheanais (ONB 1872): This apparently prehistoric standing stone measures 5ft 2ins by 2ft by 14ins, with a deep notch in its top and an iron ring sunk into it (Cregeen 1960). People were chained to it as a punishment on market days (ONB 1872). It is listed by Argyll County Council as 'The Branks Stone or Penance Stone'.
Name Book 1872; E R Cregeen 1960.
Known locally as Clach a' Bhranguis, this pillar now stands at NM 8157 6137 in front of the Strontian Hotel. It is as described by Cregeen. As it is not shown in this position on OS 25" 1898 it has presumably been moved here from NM 8154 6136 but there is no local knowledge of the circumstances.
Surveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (A A) 27 May 1970.
This stone, known at the 'Branks Stone' or 'Penance Stone' is not considered to be of any great antiquity. It measures 0.65m by 0.35m at the base and 1.60m in height. The top is divided into two low peaks by a shallow indentation. An iron ring with one link attached is fixed into the top of the S face of the stone.
RCAHMS 1985, visited 1973.
LOC Local Plan, Feb.1991: P63/5.4.30. Heritage. The Council will safeguard, and in appropriate circumstances encourage interpretation of important archyl. Sites. The Council will carefully consider the impact of proposals on any heritage interest and may seek supporting information from developers for this purpose.
J Aitken : 05/06/01.
- --- SHG13430 Image/Photograph(s): Brangas Stone, Strontian.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG14269 Image/Photograph(s): Clach A'Bhranguis. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG14273 Image/Photograph(s): Clach A'Bhranguis. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG1559 Text/Publication/Article: Cregeen, E R. 1960. 'Strontian, Morvern', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1960, p.11. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 11. 11.
- --- SHG2660 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1980. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll (excluding the early medieval and later monuments of Iona). . 71, No. 115.
- --- SHG3350 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 2, 7.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 8154 6136 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23124 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.