MHG32678 - Site of storehouse on east side of road, Littleferry
A storehouse constructed at some time after 1834 for the storage of coal and fertiliser, now demolished.
Type and Period (4)
- STOREHOUSE (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1834 AD? to 1950 AD?)
- COAL SHED (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1834 AD? to 1950 AD?)
- FERTILIZER STOREHOUSE (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1834 AD? to 1950 AD?)
- YARD (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1834 AD? to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Large stone complex around 3 sides of courtyard backing onto the road, a little N of the village. Now derelict & roofless. <1>
This storehouse was the third to be built at Little Ferry, and was built after the pier was constructed in the first quarter of the nineteenth century. In 1834 a trading smack began to ply between Helmsdale and Leith via Aberdeen which called at the pier, along with a steamer service to London. The storehouse was built to accommodate coal brought from Newcastle and possibly lime and bone meal for agricultural improvement. The railway connection to Golspie in 1868 led to the demise of Little Ferry as a port and the storehouse became derelict after the 2nd World War, its slates and some stone being robbed for other buildings.
The storehouse is mainly built of random rubble with a cobbled floor. The interior was originally divided into two storage chambers. Planning permission was granted in 1998 for the construction of a new dwelling on the site. Cobbles from the floor of the building and any stone are to be retained and re-used for landscaping within the site curtilage.
Only the building on the southern side of the courtyard was extant in 2004. A photographic record of the building was compiled as a condition of planning consent. <2>
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C. 09/2008. Site B, Littleferry, Golspie, Sutherland, KW10 6TD: Archaeological Watching Brief. Unaffiliated. 20/09/2008. Digital.
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Aitchison, S. 03/2004. Basic Photographic Record: The Ruined Storehouse, Littleferry, Golspie. Phillips Aitchison Partnership. 27/04/2004. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8060 9573 (25m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.