MHG32719 - Col Charles Hay Stone

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • QUARRY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Close to the cupmarked stones on Laggan Hill there is an outcrop of Limestone which was mined to provide lime for building and agricultural manure during the 18th & 19th centuries. Limestone is not common on this area of Strathspey and this valuable commodity provided a rich source for the agricultural improvements that were taking place then. There is a very larger Lime Kiln in Dulnan Bridge which was probably used to make the slated lime.Site visited and photographed by John Halliday, 30.9.03. Highland Archaeology Challenge.
See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 21/01/04.

Sources/Archives (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 9990 2610 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH92NE
Civil Parish DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS
Geographical Area BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.