MHG32766 - Dalfaber Farm
A late 19th-century L-shaped steading with later additions, currently in use as a golf store.
Type and Period (3)
- FARMSTEAD (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD? to 1900 AD (between))
- GOLF CLUB (In use, 21st Century - 2006 AD to 2100 AD)
- STOREHOUSE (In use, 21st Century - 2006 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Farmhouse and steading. Farm house may be converted to Golf Clubhouse. Steading - stone built, walls 0.5m thick, slate roof. Several of the workshop/ tractorsheds and lean to additions were noted to be 'sleeper' built, as was the hen house. Site photographed by A Wakeling, 04/1998. The Highland Archaeology Challenge. <1>
A well has been reported as lying at a short distance to the west. It still contains water. <2>
Photographs of the steading building were submitted as a condition of planning permission for alterations. The south western range and henhouse/workshop, photographed in 1998, have been removed. <3>
The north western range of this steading is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1871. The southern arm was added at sometime before 1900, along with various outbuildings, to form the L-shaped complex seen today. The sleeper-built farmworker's cottage and sheds had been built by 1970, but are now demolished. <4>-<6>
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1964-73. Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5a. Digital.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Wakeling, A. 1998. Highland Archaeology Challenge photographs. Colour. . Digital (scanned).
- <2> Verbal Communication: Member of public. SMR information. Eric Sharkey.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Thomson, Craig and Donald Architects & GH Johnston Building Contractors Ltd. 2006-2008. Photographs of Dalfaber Steading, Aviemore. Colour. . Digital (scanned).
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <5> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1900-5. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 90709 13492 (78m by 82m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.