MHG32823 - Prisoner of War Camp and Graveyard - S of Foich Cottage, Braemore
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CEMETERY (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- PRISONER OF WAR CAMP (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- None recorded
Graveyard marked in woodland on modern OS. Just woodland on 1st & 2nd ed OS - HAW 2/2004
A First World War prisoner of war camp is listed in the 1919 'List of Places of Internment' in Britain, its colonies and dominions. German soldiers, other than officers and senior NCOs, could be put to work that did not directly further the prosecution of the war. The camp at Braemoor was built to accommodate about 150 German PoWs who were to provide a labour force for the men of the Canadian Forestry Corps, who were working in the local forests.
The camp is reported as having been at the south side of Loch Broom, on the east side of the river below Foich. There is only one small area of flat ground in that area on which huts could have been built. Modern maps show the location of a small graveyard just to the north ( NH 18551 83445), and this may be the site of the graves of eight German soldiers who died in the influenza pandemic of 1919, who were refused burial in the local cemetery.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project 2013. <1> <2>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <3>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 332702.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 16, table 4.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 1013. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1855 8342 (80m by 112m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/332702/foich-lodge-prisoner-of-war-camp (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.