MHG32863 - Brewery - Lower Brora

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • BREWERY (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The brewery was built in 1817 near Brora Harbour. The building was later used as a lemonade factory under Mr D Bremner, who had come from Wick.

"In order to encourage the use of malt liquor, in hope that in time it would supersede the use of whisky, Lady Stafford advanced £200 for the construction of a small brewery (at Brora). The tenant Mr James Scott, from Elgin brews excellent small beer."
James Loch ?

The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, p.230) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974

J Aitken : 19/2/2004
------

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 9086 0385 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC90SW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish CLYNE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.