MHG32878 - Free Church, Gower Street, Brora
The Free Church in Brora, built 1849.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Built, 19th Century - 1849 AD to 1849 AD)
- None recorded
The first Free Church in Brora was a temporary wooden building which was erected near to the site of the present Free Church. This Church was completed in 1849 and could seat about 1,000 people. A lot of the work was done by voluntary labour by people who could not donate money. <1>
Church depicted on 1st edition Ordnance Survey mapping.<2>
Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe in July 2011 via the Highland HER Flickr group.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <1> Text/Manuscript: MacLeod, D. 11/1994. The Brora United Free Church of Scotland. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1878. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9070 0382 (29m by 27m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/187387 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.