MHG329 - C18 Barracks - Kilcamb Lodge Hotel
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BARRACKS (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Barracks (now Kilcamb Lodge Hotel): This building was at one time (18th century) temporarily occupied by troops.
Name Book 1872.
Kilcamb Lodge Hotel, known as 'Barracks' in the 19th century, was used in 1746 as the headquarters for a force of 100 - 200 militiamen commanded by Col John Campbell (later 5th Duke of Argyll) who were occupied in disarming the surrounding areas and hunting for leaders of the Jacobite Rebellion. In 1752 a small garrison was established here to enforce the prohibition on the wearing of tartan and the carrying of weapons.
Visited by RCAHMS 15 May 1976.
LOC Local Plan, Feb. 1991: P60/5.4.13. Toursim. Upgrading and expansion of tourist accommodation is encouraged in association with this site.
J Aitken : 06/05/01.
Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NM 8116 6133 (120m by 120m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG329 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23128 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.