MHG32920 - Fort Augustus Railway Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- RAILWAY STATION (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- RAILWAY PLATFORM (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
The former site of Fort Augustus railway station now lies under Kilchuimen Academy. The railway is not present on the first edition OS map (of c.1870) and has already fallen out of use by the publication of the second edition OS map (of c. 1900).
Photographs of the site have been supplied by Mike Leary of Fort Augustus.
Fort Augutus railway station was opened 22nd July 1903; it closed for regular passenger service 1st December 1933. It was closed completely in January 1947. The station has been largely demlished and the site is now occupied by a school and playing field. A short section of one of the through platforms survives on the school premises with the end ramp protruding through the fence onto a public road. More information can be found using the link below to the site entry on the Disused Stations website. <1>
The former site of the Fort Augustus railway station was visited by NOSAS in 2014. A concrete wall, thought to be the edge of a platform, was all that remains of this station located on the south bank of the canal. The wall, which was aligned SW-NE, was c30m in length and roughly 1m in height and topped by metal railings. The wall/platform extended to the SW where it bounded a car park and was aligned with the east parapet of the railway bridge, NH30NE 55 (Canmore ID 228559) at NH 37605 09184 to the NE on the north bank of the canal.
To the east of the platform a retaining wall at the rear of a house was topped by old railings and a “railway” gate. This wall was 22m in length and 2m in height and bounds the approach road to the car park above.
Fort Augustus railway station is marked at this location on maps, including OS maps, between 1912 and 1948.<2>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Disused Stations Team. 2004-2015. Disused Stations: Closed Railway Stations in the UK. Yes. Digital. Fort Augustus.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 345229, 339969.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3756 0903 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/f/fort_augustus/index.shtml (Link to Disused Station website for additional information)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/339969/fort-augustus-railway-station (Link to online HES Canmore record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/345229/fort-augustus-railway-station (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.