MHG32943 - Culmaily Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CANAL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The canal was constructed by Patrick Sellar in 1810. Using the Culmaily Burn, he dug a mile long, 3.5 ft deep canal from just below the ferm buildings to Loch Fleet. On this he put a boat capable of carrying an 8 ton load, and with it he brought home "shelley sand" from the sea. This sand and lime compound was mixed woth peat, seaweed and cattle dung, and was then used to manure the land. The Culmaily Burn still flows along the bed of Sellar's canal, striking in a straight line south-east from the south side of the A9, just beside Culamily Farm.
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, p. 191) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974
J Aitken : 19/2/2004
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8069 9911 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.