MHG330 - Strontian Hotel

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • HOTEL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

LOC Local Plan, Feb.1991: P63/5.4.30. Heritage.
J Aitken : 06/05/01.

NM86SW 7 8160 6135

This small inn was built about 1808 to replace the 'London House', a prefabricated wooden structure which had been erected in the 1730s when the York Buildings Company was working the nearby lead-mines. By 1800, the original building was in decay, and a surveyor's report of 1807, which described it as 'nearly in ruins' recommended that a new public house should be built. The building then erected comprises a two-storeyed rectangular block with a semi-octagonal central bay containing the entrance-doorway, to which flanking wings were added shortly afterwards. The structure is built of harled and whitewashed rubble, with hipped roofs.
RCAHMS 1980.

Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <1>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NM 8160 6134 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NM86SW
Civil Parish ARDNAMURCHAN
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.