MHG33063 - St Fergus Well, Wick

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • HOLY WELL (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

St Fergus Well marked on 1st ed OS. By 19th century lies outside SE corner of cemetery (that appears to have been truncated) to W of steep path that lies up E side of graveyard to High St. NO longer marked - HAW 4/2004

(ND 3618 5109) St Fergus's Well (NR) (site of)
OS 6" map, (1968)

The remains of the former parish church and the site of its holy well, both dedicated to St Fergus (fl 721 AD). An early cross-marked stone, dug up near the church is in Thurso Museum
Craven 1908.

The holy well was a well of spring water immediately under the graveyard
ONB 1872

No trace of St Fergus' Well was found.
Visited by OS (J B) 18 August 1982

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 3618 5109 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND35SE
Civil Parish WICK
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.